10 quiz questions:
1. Where is Grant living?- At his Tante’s house
2. Jefferson is in jail because ??- he was in a bar where a shooting take place and he was the alone survivor.
3. How does the judge call Jefferson?- a hog
4. Who wants Grant to talk to Jefferson, and why? – Miss Emma, because she wants Jefferson to die as a man.
5. How does Jefferson call his godmother?- He calls her Nannan.
6. What is the name and profession of Grant’s girlfriend?- Vivian is a teacher.
7. Where do Grant and Vivian meet each other?- At the Rainbow club in Bayonne.
8. What does Grant buy for Jefferson?- a radio and a notebook with a pencil
9. Where does Jefferson work? – In the church of Reverend Ambrose.
Connect words to A LESSON BEFORE DYING.
In the novel Jefferson is called a hog. His dignity is wounded. He feels totally down, he doesn’t want to eat, doesn’t want to talk, he doesn’t want to do anything dignified people do. He is loss and wants to die as a hog.
However Grants visits change Jefferson. Grant wants to be his friend and talk to him. The talk about the situation and that Jefferson can be a hero for the black society.Finally Jefferson wins his dignity back and died as a strong man.
Please explore Grant’s visit at the prison by focusing on both Grant’s and Jefferson’s behaviour and posture. Besides, you should pay attention to the contact they have with each other. Find suitable quotations for both characters.