A) Find out as much as you can about the film PRECIOUS. Consider summaries, trailers and reviews and collect reasons why it might or might not be interesting and enlightening to watch the film in class. Prepare a five-minute presentation.
- 2009 american drama film by the director Lee Daniels
- based on 1996 novel “Push” by Sapphire
- main character: 16-year-old Claireece P. “Precious” Jones
- she is teen mother, dark skinned, overweight and illiterate; living with her abusive mother in the ghetto of Harlem.
- The first child has the Down Syndrom, and is therefore named “Mongo”
- She gets pregnant by her father the second time that’s why she has to leave the high school
- Precious has reached the ninth grade with good marks even though she is illiterate
first impressions concerning the trailer:
- feeling sorry for Precious
- shows cruel reality and hopelessness of a young persons life, living in Harlem (as a black)
Why we should watch this film:
The fim is a real “tear-jerker”.
Get an important insight of a ghetto life and all the problems of a hopeless future/perspective especially for blacks (vicious circle).
You realize that we can appreciate our living conditions!
It’s enlightening because you can compare the situation of the blacks from 1987 to nowadays. This fits perfect to our issue “the african-american experience” with their struggle for equality